Are you being criticized a lot? Do you have people around you who tell you that you shouldn’t do something, even though you really want to? Do those people pull you down?
In case they do, or you question yourself on how to handle naysayers in a regular basis, I invite you today to watch the following 13-minute session by Jonathan Fields who addresses exactly this issue. Jonathan Fields is an award-winning author and entrepreneur who is currently leading the Good Life Project. In other words, he knows what he is talking about.
In a nutshell, here is what he is recommending on how to handle Naysayers:
- Ask yourself: “Who are these people? Should what they say matter?”
- Once you sorted out those that don’t matter, you ask yourself the next question on the people that do matter: “How do I deal with the people that I should actually listen to? Are they experts? Where are they coming from?”
- For the people with expertise in the field:
- Ask them curiously the question: “What is your opinion based upon?”
- Listen to them and take the information in, maybe they have valid data to prove their point.
- For the close friends and family etc. around you:
- Understand that they probably reject the idea from a place of fear.
- Accept their comments, but don’t be influenced by it.
To understand the details behind his recommendation, you can check out the video below.
What do you say now? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this. How do you handle naysayers in your life?
Photo credit: Takomabiblelot